Illustrating and cooking vegan food are two of my most favourite things to do....so I thought why not combine the two! In my spare time I have been picking out fun recipes from my notebook of made up recipes! One of my favourite Saturday night dinners is a classic plate of chips, tofu nuggets and peas. It's very simple and not the healthiest dinner but sometimes us vegans need some fried food in our lives!
My illustrated recipes are still a work in progress but thought I would share the draft anyway....as it is world vegan day! Recipe written below (need to work on making this one more readable!)
1. Press a block of firm tofu under a plate to remove the moisture. Chop into nugget sized nuggets.
2. Batter mixture : 1 tsp of salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp of paprika, tumeric & garlic powder, 1-1/2 cups of chickpea flour. Mix dry ingredients with water to form a thick batter.
3. Slice up potatoes into your desired chip size! Brush with oil and sprinkle with paprika s & p.
Place on a baking tray & oven bake unitl golden brown.
4. Dip the tofu cubes into the batter followed by a roll in the panko crumbs.
5. Heat up a pan of rapeseed oil and pop in the nuggets. Remove once golden brown & crispy. Rest on some kitchen roll to remove excess oil.
6.Vegan lemony garlicky mayo: a glug of olive oil, a splash of white wine vinegar, 1 crushed garlic clove, a big squeeze of lemon & a pinch of s&p, 1/2 tsp of egg replacer. Whisk, taste and season until this resembles mayo...Or tastes yum. If all esle fails, add some garlic and lemon to veganaise!
7. Boil some frozen peas for that fresh side of greens.
*recipe disclaimer: I'm a freestyler in the kitchen so there’s a lot questionable measurements in this recipe... Therefore plenty of tasting & vegan guesstimations required! :)